Back to School Night Additional Information, PAG Meeting Schedule, Bulldogs Merchandise, and Clarifying Absences
September 30, 2020
We look forward to seeing many of you at our Virtual Back to School Night tomorrow evening. The email below includes several related “welcome back to school” informative updates that supplement tomorrow evening’s discussion.
- Back to School Night Tomorrow (Thursday, October 1st from 6:00-7:30pm): As a reminder, families who have students in elementary, middle and high school up to grade 12 are invited to join our faculty for a virtual Back to School Night to meet your student’s team members and learn about your student’s programming for the year ahead. For your convenience, we are re-sharing the Back to School Night letter (BTSN 2020 Letter) that was emailed last week that includes scheduling details and login information. Case managers are also sharing individual links with their respective families.
- Grading Expectations for Middle and High School Students: If you have a student in middle or high school, please see the attached letter (*Parents Grading*) from our School Principal and Assistant Principal/Curriculum Director regarding grading expectations for this school year.
- Curriculum Summaries for Therapy Groups and Community-Based Instruction: One of Milestones’ unique and fundamental features is the quality of our school wide therapeutic programming, which also includes collaboration with our transition specialists at our upper grade levels. All families (including those with students in Post High School) are invited to review the attached summary of this year’s group-level programming developed by our therapists (Curriculum Blurb Back to School Night). To find the sections that are relevant for your student, you will note that descriptions are separated by grade levels and homerooms.
- Virtual Parent Advisory Group Meetings for 2020-2021: We are pleased to announce that we will resume offering four Parent Advisory Group meetings this year during the months of November, January, March and May. Together with our PAG parent leaders we have confirmed that the platform for these meetings will be virtual, in accordance with health and safety protocols. Each meeting is open to all parents/guardians and offers a wonderful opportunity for families to connect with members of Milestones’ administrative team to support our students, staff, and school community at large. The meeting format includes a training based around a topic that was requested by our families followed by time for discussion on a variety of topics that are important to the PAG. * The first meeting is scheduled for Friday, November 20th from 10:00-11:30am, and the presentation topic is “Executive Functioning.” *Login information will be provided in advance of each meeting, and RSVPs are not required. We have attached two PAG flyers *(PAG Meeting Dates 2020-2021 and PAG Executive Functioning November 2020) *that list the meeting dates and provide more details surrounding our first meeting.
- Bulldogs Merchandise: To show your school spirit, we wanted to remind families that Milestones Bulldogs merchandise is regularly available for purchase within our online Bulldogs store. In addition to offering t-shirts, sweatshirts, polos, pullovers, shorts, and pants, this year we have also added Milestones masks. Please see the attached flyer (Merch Flyer) for ordering information, and all purchases can be shipped directly to your home.
- Clarification Regarding the Helpful Reporting of Student Absences:
Thank you for continuing to communicate with our school nurse (Lyn Ross: firstname.lastname@example.org) regarding illness and all medical-related updates, questions, and concerns. To further assist us with tracking the health of our community, we request that if you notify Milestones that your student is going to be absent for a reason other than illness or exposure to illness (ex: vacation day, dentist visits, planned well-visit appointments etc.) it will be especially helpful if you specify the reason for the absence. In this way, we will clear that a specific family does not require follow-up discussion with our school nurse. We appreciate your assistance!
As always, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any other questions. We hope that many of you enjoy meeting with your student’s faculty tomorrow, as it will be a pleasure to reconnect with our Milestones families.